3D Printer DIY "PrintrBot Simple 2014" - Part 1

3D Printer "Do it Yourself"

Having watched the market and seen so many come out over the last few years I have wanted to get one.  But did not want to have to find start-up parts and hunt everything down and hopefully not miss something.  Then comes along PrintrBot, and I was sold.

PrintrBot
So with a recent inflow of model cash I managed to to procure myself a PrintrBot Simple 2014 kit from Amazon.  I did not take any pictures of the whole un-boxing but spent the evening checking all the components making sure they were there.  Part of my documenting this build is to show that this project can be done with the most basic of knowledge.


All the wood sanded and ready for paint.
The best part of this is that my 9 year old is interested, although he still doesn't grasp exactly what it does even though he has seen me use professional ones when I worked at a local college.  The minute I told him we could make our own Lego blocks he was sold.

Now that all the parts were trimmed and sanded to my satisfaction I decided to use spray paint to seal and protect the wood.  The only color I had handy was this bright safety yellow from a project around the house.  But this works for me as I want this to stand out and pop a bit in my hobby room.

Bright yellow spray paint to show it off a bit.

Total time spent on this project : 1 hour
Cost  to date: $369.94


Popular Posts