Collections - What do they really mean to gamer's.


Recently I really had to start looking at what I do with all these models and how are they stored.  I'm lucky enough that the house that I live in has some spare bedrooms that I was able to use.  But the problem is occurring that I have literally run out of room in my Hobby Room.

So that caused me to start thinking, do I really need to take advantage of the "Sales" or new models when they are released?  The practical side of me says no, but the hobbyist says yes.  Lets evaluate the reasons for these.

Battlefront's 40% off Vietnam sale.

Reasons for taking part in a sale.

Great deals and sometimes unbeatable prices.
Limited runs of models.
Companies may go out of business and you miss out.
Prices will only go up in the future.
Some models hold there value.


About a 1/3rd of my battlefield in a box collection.
Reasons to hold off on a sale.

Model lines don't take off and your stuck with weird half done collections.
Price drops in the future, this occurs with model lines that do cash grabs.
There is always something better on the horizon.
No one to play with or enjoy the hobby.

Left side is Battlefront (Germans, US, and Polish), Right side is GW (Grey Knights, Space Marines, Fantasy)

Should these things deter you from purchasing models, no and they most likely you will still buy.  But the bottom line is to keep in mind that your going to have to store these boxes somewhere.  And also that if you get married or have kids in the future you will have to explain the desire for legions of unopened boxes that your family now has to "watch out for".

My old Space Marine shelf in my old house.

Hodge podge of models stuffed into a closet.














Popular Posts