Spaceship/station table terrain

As usual when any type of cleaning occurs in my hobby room I find some project that was started or sparks my interest again.  While waiting for models to dry from painting I happened upon some hirstarts cast that I made for a space ship table.  With little else to do I decided to clean the pieces up and see what I could make.

Basic layout of rooms with the available pieces I had.



As you can see from the above picture I had enough pieces to make two rooms.  Placing them on some of my precut MDF boards as a base to help protect them.  Once they were in place I hit them both with a covering of lacquer to seal the plaster they were made from.  Then I primed them with Army Painter "Army Green Primer" as a base color.  I wanted to keep the paint scheme simple at this point to see how fast I can bang these out.


Once the primer had a chance to dry I used some homemade black ink wash to bring out details and change the primer color to deeper green.  As can be seen above, While that was drying I decided to paint the exposed MDF with some black acrylic paint which helped tone down the green as well.


Once the ink wash had dried for a day, I grabbed some of the GW technical paints that my wife got me a couple years ago when they first came out.  Went to town and in within 20 minutes had the first tile to what you see above.  Have to say that if came out very well and will be sealing with another coat of lacquer to hold up to game play.


Its all in the details, which can be done quickly and have a nice realistic look to them.  I used typhus rot in the grates that had rusted away to provide some additional depth and gritty look.  Blood smear to show that some unfortunate sole has had an accident.  Dry rust on a lot of surfaces to contrast the green.


Some nurgles rot to show some leaks and possible toxic areas.


Some Nikolade Oxide paint to show some more ageing and provide a bright contrast to some areas.


Looking down the hall into the room, great scale of depth from this angle.  Since these could be used for either 15mm or 28mm scale I decided to see how models would look, so below  you can get a sense of how they work.

15mm Model



28mm Model



Popular Posts