X-Wing "Repaints and Customized Ships" (Part 1)

Happy New Year everyone and hope you all have a safe and prosperous 2016.

I have been silent on my blog for awhile as I started a new job and was very busy with it over the summer before leaving it for another one closer to home.  Now that I have hobby time available and that means I can get back to writing blog entries.

To start off with I am going to do a repaint of the T-70 from the Fantasy Flight Games "Star Wars - The Force Awakens" starter box.  I will admit the only reason to do this is because my family and I went an saw the new movie and I was sadly disappointed that the model was painted up as an x-wing from the beginning of the movie that didn't even make it off the ground.

Right from the Box


This is my first repaint of an x-wing model so I was a little worried about doing it.  I figured it was best to start off my painting the entire model black with Army Painters paint set I got last year.  I have found that this paint set is perfect for me and that I can do some interesting things with it.  Their was a temptation to bust out the spray paint and just blast it with primer but I was worried about losing detail.  Plus I would have black pegs then and didn't want to repaint pegs if I didn't have too.

Covered entire model with black paint.


Luckily the hand painted base coat went on well and was very fast.  The paint covered nicely and brought out some detail that was lost with the original paint job I felt.  On top of this I did several light dry-brushes of Gray to highlight the edges and pick up details.

Highlight/Drybrush of gray paint

From here I went the internet and found images of Poe Damerons Black X-wing.  I slowly built up the area of the orange by using reds first and lightly building it up.  I also hit any areas that showed lighter areas with brown and cleaned up the cockpit.

Basic block in of colors red, orange, and browns


Once the final passes of orange were in place I hit the laser prongs with boltgun metal and then lightly washed them with some black ink. I also painted the command insignia on the back wings.

Complete with command insignia and metallic.


To finish it off I hit the engines with some purple and light highlights to bring it out.

Even did some simple engine flare.


Since this turned out so well I have decided to do some more repaints with this paint scheme for my Scum and Villainy force that I would like to do.  So expect to see more going on and much more in the future from this blog.








Popular Posts