Heavy Gear Blitz - Utopian Army





So as usual I took advantage of a clearance sale with Miniature Market when they were unloading some models a year ago.  I managed to score what I would consider a large Heavy Gear Army at some insanely cheap prices.  Now that I have been cleaning out my hobby room and selling several thousands of dollars of games and models that I will never build I decided to pull these out and start working on them.

Over the last few years I have really felt the pull to smaller scale games, 15mm, 6mm, and some of the crazy naval scales as well.  The main benefit of switching to smaller scales means that I do not have 15+ 40 gallon totes storing models and can actually move around my hobby room comfortably.

While I have read the books that came with my starter army, I am still not grasping the rules very well just yet.  But the recent Kickstarter campaign will hopefully spur some others to try out the game system as well within my small group.  In fact the other night some buddies were over playing and asked about the models sitting on my desk from this post.  My response was don't worry about it and its just to build something different right now.


So the first night of building involved me building out the Recon elements of my force.  This will end up being my command group for games.  So I need to have two Armiger's and four N-Kidu drones for the unit.  I was pleasantly surprised at how easy these models cleaned up and went together.

Command squad and half of the drones built.
As you can see in the below picture I finished the last two drones and now my command unit is complete.  I also equipped the units pretty much how they were shown on the box as my way of thinking is that I can always pick up some more units to "customize" once I get the feel of the game down.

Full squad completed and ready for basing.
Since the box set came with four additional N-Kidu drone's, I went ahead and built them as well.  Only later did I find out that these can be used for a core group and now I have a second unit done.  Awesome sauce as my daughter says!

Command Squad and Drone Squad completed.
Now since I am trying to stay motivated my mind drifted a bit and some terrain was started.  I just want to throw down some area terrain and have it playable while not being to over the top.  Just so happens that in my base box I have some of these 120mm bases from "Proxie Models".  If you have seen them before I suggest you head over to their site and pick some up.  They are extremely nice and easy to use.


Terrain piece on a Proxie Models 120mm base.

You can see that the spacing is done to allow enough room for entire units to fit onto the base.  Also of note is that I have ditched to hex base's that came with the models and swapped out for some 30mm bases.

With models to show play-ability.

This terrain feature will be some rocks to show out cropping of stone while being playable and fun.  This is a complete trial and error on this one as I have never used cork for terrain before.

Terrain piece on a Proxie Models 120mm Base.

So to wrap up after day one I have 50% of an army started and some minor terrain that I can use.  One thing that is becoming a little difficult is that this stuff is hard to find at online retailers as it appears most if not all on the major ones have stopped carrying it.  I have managed to find a few sites and will have to turn to eBay for the rest.

Popular Posts