Erik's December Check-in

So its been awhile since I have posted anything to the blog here.  Well for good and bad reasons, changed jobs over the summer and have now moved away from the Engineering/Construction field and now work for Pennsylvania State University as a staff member in the Library at the Hazleton campus.  So if any of you students who hang out in the library all day check out the blog say hello.

Justin, Cody(My youngest son), and myself at Cold-Wars
So Justin and I have known each other for about six years now and try to game on a regular basis.  But with our schedules we can only make time for games during the week or once a month with our other buddy Steve.  The two of them are responsible for my foray into Warhammer Fantasy and Historical Gaming.  So my wife just loves them as they are two of the reasons I have spent an ungodly amount of money on the hobby.  This fall Justin and I made plans to join the Historical Miniature Gaming Society and attend two events a year.  Fall-In 2016 and Cold-Wars 2017 while attempting to hit Historicon in 2017 as well.  Part of this agreement was to become members to unload some stuff in Wally's Basement.  But I will go into that a little later, Justin has managed to talk me into playing Bolt Action so cash is needed to fund this.


The above picture is my score from day one of the convention, not to shabby as I was only buying things I needed for gaming without going overboard.  Much to the dismay of several vendors who recognized me from a few years ago when I spent way to much money.  Most of the above swag was actually free and helped spur some of my additional spending.  The hardest part of the day was being Justin's wife and telling him/dragging him to check out all the booths first and then buy.



Day two saw me spending more money, but I actually came home with more cash then I took the whole weekend thanks to some very generous people in Wally's basement.  The below picture was the one score that I was very happy with.  See I had a large Warhammer 40k Grey Knight army that no one wanted to play.  So I was trying to sell it, while even marking it down to almost 80% off.  I had a few people who were about ready to pull the trigger but backed off at the last minute.  Luckily another of Wally's basement guys was willing to do a horse trade with me.  I got the entire contents of the below picture swapped for the grey knights army, plus an offer for one purchase of any dollar value at his price from Battlefront.  That part of the deal hasn't happened yet and I am starting to think it wont, but I am waiting to hear back from Toledo Game Room.


 So other than the convention what have I been working on?  Well years ago I discovered 15mm gaming and Khurashan Miniatures walking dead models.  See I love zombie games and have been making my own for over ten years.  Now I have 90% of the items that I need to do the game with a decent table and models to represent everything.





Part of my gaming and experience is making my own terrain and hopefully selling it.  I 3D printed some Alaska barriers for my table.  These were done in ABS plastic and at a high speed finish them off.


Something else that came from out vist to Fall-In 2016 this year was finding "Sail Power" by Sea Dog Game Studios,  They have a rule set that I can now use for my BlueMoon naval ships in 15mm that I bought at the previous Fall-In that we attended.  So with the rule book in hand I have started to build my first ship.  Still some work to do but once I have the ship and crew done I will start on the next one.





The best part about Sail Power is that you can do all kind of gaming with it, so I decided to start making a dock/port area that players can use.  This will be a completely modular system that I will cast up when done and hopefully sell in the future.  But until now enjoy the build pics.



Oh and remember I said something about a Zombie table?  Well the next few pictures are the table being laid out.

Laying out buildings and Alaska barriers, note the movable wrecked car markers.

Table view shows the lack of line of site making it difficult for models to see those pesky zombies coming for them.

Some areas will have some decent fire lanes for shooting.

Pulled out all the other nick knacks that I had purchased over the years.


Yes those are roadblock barriers that can be setup in games.  Dumpsters allow players to shot over walls or traverse them if needed.

Shipping containers will not be glued in place to allow some switch up of the layout.

Could have been an outpost by survivors.

Thats all for now and stay tuned.




Popular Posts