Justin's January Check In



  

     A Happy New Year to you all.  I hope you've all made your resolutions to get all models painted this year...This month's check in is chock full of fun and lots of pictures.  Lot's of games played and lots of new discoveries to help move the gaming group forward.  As always, I'll try not to get too long winded so lets get this started. 

     So what's new with the group?  Well for starters we've discovered not one but TWO gaming stores to expand to and play at.  The first I want to talk about is Hooked on Comics in Myerstown, Pa Hooked on Comics Facebook.  We discovered them the beginning of the month, and after a stop in and a talk with the owners we had a game day set up.  It's a great store that specializes in comics but carries Magic, board games, and some table top items.  They have a room in the back for some gaming tables and are very open to stopping in and using their space. 

Pic of quarter of the area.  Us playing some FoW.
     Next I'm pumped to announce that my own little town has had a gaming store open this month, the Alchemist's Cove Games & Comics Alchemist's Cove Games & Comics.  This place is literally 4 blocks from my house and again the owners are very friendly and allow open gaming when ever there isn't an event going.  They mainly specialize in Magic and comics, but again have some 40K items and can order anything you'd like.  At first glance their shelves may look empty.  But, as a new store, are gauging what people in the area want and then will continue to expand to accommodate.  We're currently looking at scheduling several demo days of some different rule sets for them. 
The Cove's gaming area

     As far as additions to the addictions, there really wasn't any thing big this month.  I picked up a bunch of boosters for the new Magic release of Aetherholt.  Also, with the new ruleset of Flames of War V4 coming out The War Store is running a special that with any purchase you can pre-order the new rules to be sent for free upon their release.  So I ended up picking up another blister of Pioneers for my FoW Finnish.  I also grabbed the Age of Sigmar (AoS) Generals Handbook to give a try(which you'll see bellow I got a few test games in).  That's about it.  With Cold Wars coming up in March I've begun my buying freeze to save.  Battlefront has some nice new desert terrain being released with V4 and I plan on bringing a lot home. 

     Now for the those who have been following me, the shock of what's been on my table...Bolt Action Finnish as always.  These guys have taken a little longer than I hoped but they've come along nicely and soon will be a full report on them. 

A small sampling

     So I was able to get quite a few games in this month.  I'll start with the smaller playtest games.  With friends pushing me to give AoS a try  I enlisted my son and his Skaven to help work through it.  I was able to get two games in this month .  Still getting used the mechanics so I'll reserve my thoughts for now.  But it has the potential to be fun. 

Beastmen Advance

Chariot VS Skaven

Overview of table

Skaven battle line

Jezzails trying to pick off my chariot

       We also had our first game day at Hooked on Comics.  We had two tables set up and 5 players.  We did the standard 1750 Midwar and I went up against Derrick's Germans.  Not sure of the actual list but he was pushing two Tigers in it.  We ended up rolling fighting withdrawal which can be tough defending.  But luckily my platoons are so big with the Italians that I was able to cover all three objectives by spreading my two infantry platoons out.  I was able to hold pretty well and bombard his infantry in the open and keep them pinned for the first few turns and long enough for my infantry to open up and MG him to whittle him down.  My assault guns acted as a flank runner and was able to swing around to start putting shots on his nebs.  When it came time to start pulling platoons I was still running with my full company.  I ended up removing my tanks first since they were down to two and was able to rob him of finishing them off.  Shortly after my 88's popped their ambush and took out both Tigers in one round of shooting.  Come round 5 he was below 50% of his platoons and failed his company morale check quickly fleeing the field.  It ended up a 6-1 win for me. 


Tables set up at Hooked on Comics
US vs US
German vs Finnish
Tigers can die

European table
Desert table


Italians prepared to hold the line

Italian defensive position
     Well, that's all I have for this month.  Next month should see a post up about some Finnish off of the table along with quite a few games in.  That being said, for the locals, we have two game days planned.  The first will be Feb 12th at Hooked on Comics.  We will be sticking to FoW for that.  Most likely Mid 1750.  We will also be at Alchemist's Cove on the 18th to demo some X-wing, Bolt Action, and what ever else makes it on to the table.  And since I didn't get any feed back about my next project, I've decided to keep with the Finnish theme and work on my bin of FoW Finnish I need to get together so I can start playing some Late War games again. 

Popular Posts