Bolt Action - Really, more Soviets?

"You need more Soviets, Erik?  Is all I hear from Justin before games now.  So with that in mind I was looking at the Army Book for the Soviets and have been coming up with all kinds of crazy army list.  But at the same time I am working on core units to fill out options other than mass infantry games.

First up is adding a Medium Machine Gun to the army.  The Maxim Machine Gun is a real "sexy" game piece from Warlord Games.  But while building mine I noticed how the model is such a pain to keep from falling apart.  I managed but didn't have the greatest time doing it.


The whole team was originally modeled on a much larger base than Warlord Games provides.  I decided afterwards to change it back to a 60mm one after the first game.


Oh and lets talk about an extremely underrated unit in the game for the Soviets.  Shtrafbet units are the most important unit that you can put on the table.  At 27 points, not being armed and taking them as "Shirkers" puts down 12 bodies to adsorb fire from the enemy.  Justin has already learned that you cannot ignore them because they are the perfect screening force.  Not to mention I now have extra dice to pull from the bag.  I love the write up in the army book for them stating that they would be given non-functioning weapons and Vodka for bravery.  So I cut the flames off of some Molotov cocktails so they look like they are running into battle drinking.



So when I swapped the MMG teams to smaller bases I magnetized the third person on them for gameplay reasons.  Below you can see the finished model.



Popular Posts