Mordheim Dungeon Crawls
Our gaming group is back to playing a Mordheim Campaign and one of my favorite parts of it is the custom dungeon crawls I created. Sometimes playing a full on war-band vs war-band match can be very time consuming and costly. Last year we noticed a couple players who really pulled out ahead due to some early victories.
The rules are fairly simple and it plays almost like a cross between Dungeons & Dragons and Mordheim. The basic rules are listed below and the game does not always require two people to play they are written so a single person could in theory run a crawl themselves.
- The size of the game is determined by the size of your war-band.
- Hero's cannot be permanently harmed or killed during a crawl.
- Henchmen can be killed.
- You may not use any animals during a dungeon crawl.
- Killing something in the crawl grants 1 experience per kill that can be freely allocated.
- The crawl last for 20 turns, they actually go pretty quick.
As you can see from the above picture dungeon crawls can be large maps and smaller ones. I have a rather large collection of Dwarven Forge resin terrain pieces from the Master Maze line and enjoy using them. I also picked up some resin "treasure piles" and use them along with some other items to represent loot. The crawl is very inspired by diablo and can be quite the challenge as some players have found out.
In early games the loot was very spread out and sometimes was difficult to collect. Depending on your war-band sometimes gaining the experience was more important.