Bolt Action Soviets....preparing for Tank Wars.

My buddy Justin decided to run a small Tank Wars tournament the other week and I agreed to play in it to help out.  It was a simple 1,500 point 3 game minimum game-day with multiple platoons allowed.  Being the good Soviet player I already had plenty of T-34/85's ready to battle along with a few other tanks to help out.


After deciding to run a T-34/85 list my next big choice was to figure out how to maximize the amount of tanks in the list.  My basic/core of my list was 6 T-34/85's, with 2 T-70's and a lone OT-130 to round out the tanks.  My free unit of infantry and a truck for transport was the only other thing needed which gave me a nice 11 dice to play with.  Figured I would have dice advantage but actually played two of my three games against 13/14 dice pullers.


About a week before the event I had to paint up about half the force and located a truck to use during the event.  Luckly Justin came to my rescue with some GAZ trucks he recently aqouted in a trade with the promise he would charge me for every Maksim MMG I put on them.  I managed to paint all the items for my list, minus the truck as I only got it the night before the event.  But did do a quick spray of it with the airbrush so it was started in the right colors.


After most game-days I get an itch to paint and since the truck is the only thing that needed painted I jumped on it and finished it up.  Came out rather nicely for not being stripped and redone.  Fits in nicely with my force already and I have to remind myself that its just a 30 point model that is used to carry infantry around the table.


While I had the airbrush out and was painting these two Bren Carriers needed finished up so I started to work on them.  Once again these will be quick and easy to finish to have them done.


While in the Bolt Action Soviet bag I found this old recast T-28 that I bought off someone.  It was a mess when I got it decided to strip it down and fix it up.  I may have spent a month working on it before to get it to this stage then threw it in the bag and forgot about it.  Really at this point it just needed paint but may have been put off it because I did not have the can at the time or the humidity was to bad.


Quick hit of Army Painter primer and then air brush a light coat of white paint on it.  Sponge some metallic paint over the whole model and finish it with a heavy wash of black ink.  90% done ready for some detail and weathering work to finish.




While the bag was out I decided to see what I still had to build and paint for the army.  After some quick searching under the gaming table looks like I have a whole other army of soviets to do, plus another tank!  I don't have a KV-1 yet so maybe do that one.


The bag had the last of the infanty to paint up.  Which appears to be some special units, patriotic flags, MMG teams, mortors, and 37mm cannon.  Of and of course two full units of shirkers that I built up awhile back.


I did come across a ZIS-3 field gun which screamed to be assembled since I do not have one.


And of course in the bottom of the box was a new on sprue T-34/85.  Since I have 7 already I may build this one into a armored recovery vehicle.


Popular Posts